My Cute Kids

My Cute Kids

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

National Adoption Awareness Month

November is National Adoption Awareness month. As in the past, radio shows like Focus on the Family and Family Life are featuring adoption broadcasts. Tune in on your computer if you have the chance!

Because I am in the "adoption world" so to speak I am seeing evidence that the Father of the Fatherless is awakening a heart for his orphaned children among believers. I can't describe the burden I feel for the growing number of orphans in this world. It's becoming a world crisis and I think that the Lord is stirring His people's hearts to respond.

I find myself discouraged, though. I mean with 143,000,000 orphans how in the world can I make a difference? Sometimes giving a little money here or a little money there is like I'm trying to fill the ocean with my spit! That's why I like story of the starfish so much. We can't help everyone but we can help one (at a time!).

I've been wanting to find a place where my limited time, treasures and talents could really make a difference and a dent in the world. I think I might have found my spot.... I'm still praying and may not fully know until I've visited. My friend Ronda's new son is from an orphanage in Haiti. As I watched video of him and the other kids I was struck by the needs they have. We're talking third world country poor... not enough plates for every child.... kids wearing adult sized mis-matched flip flops. The kids used to live in sheep pens but have now moved to this yet unfinished orphanage.
This is a place that I can get to for just over $500. I bet I could even get a few friends to go with me. I could go every year!! I could even take my family there someday!

Two passages in scripture have challenged me personally this past week....
Matt. 6:19-21 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves to not break in and steal. For where your treasure is there your heart will be also.

1 John 3: 16-18 ".... But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?..."

Here's the video....

No comments: