My Cute Kids

My Cute Kids

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Light of the World

We've been trying to have some fun and meaningful family time together in preparation for Advent. I personally have been trying to give more of my "presence" to the kids instead of "presents."
We planned tonight to drive around together to see Christmas lights, so beforehand I prepared a little devotion. Feel free to use it, or change it up.

"The Light of the World"

We started out our time in the dark and talked about how hard it would be to have to live in darkness. Then I lit a candle.
Talk about how several hundred years before Jesus came, God began to tell his prophets that Jesus was coming. Almost 750 years before Jesus came, God told Isaiah about him.

Read Isaiah 9:2
Ask, "What does it mean the people were living in darkness?" "What light are they talking about?"

Read John 1:9
Ask, "Who is the true light?" The Bible says that Jesus is the light of the world! He came to save all of us from our darkness.

Read Matthew 5:14
Ask, "Who is the light now?" We are the light of the world!
Jesus, the Light of the world, lives in us and he wants us to shine our light so that when people see us, our lives shine and show others the way to God.

This is why we have lights at Christmas time. We light our trees and put lights on our houses to remind us that Jesus came to bring light to our world and we are to shine His light!

Pray that we would be good lights, so that when people see our good deeds, they will praise our Father in heaven.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Love it! :)

Kate said...

I'm in agreement. Love!

Dave, Kristen, Katelyn, Anna, and Ben McCurdy said...

I'm looking so forward to using this next Christmas. Thank you!