

Well, it happened. I had assumed that raising twins would involve trips to the emergency room, especially since one of them is a rowdy boy. The thing I hadn’t anticipated was that I would be the cause of our first trip.
Yesterday, I was working out in the backyard. There has been some settling around the foundation of our house. The ground underneath our patio slab had settled as well. So, I dug a hole where the slab meets the house and began to pack some rocks and dirt under the slab. I was on my knees, tamping dirt in there with the handle of the shovel (packing it with the shovel handle…yeah, holding the shovel backwards)…It was working really well until Hud stepped up behind me to throw a dirt clod into the hole. He loves helping Dad. Only this helpful move met the back swing of my shovel…He took the blow right in the middle of his upper lip…laid it open like it had been cut with a knife. And yes, it looked as painful as it sounds.
Four hours in the ER and five stitches later, we took our somewhat intoxicated little guy home for a nap. He was really tough. Before the day was over he had untied one of the middle stitches. Thankfully, his lip is still holding together. This morning, after getting something in his tummy, he was back to his wild self. He even said multiple times, “I feew weely dood!” Looks like he will be fine. Dad is still recovering.
6 comments:
Poor Rusty rachel
I'm sure it will take daddy longer to recover! We all have those stories we have to tell our therapists later in life!
You have not lost your eligibility! Still tops in my book.
Poor little cow poke! He looks so pitiful, but I am glad he is "feewing weewy dood!" You are still a wonderful dad!
Rusty, I agree with the others...you are still an amazing dad! One of the best I've ever known, and I had a darn good one.
Hey, Huddy! Grandpa says you are a "really tough dude!" and he loves you! He loves your dad, too!
Grandpa
Post a Comment