So, back to this summer. Hud, Han and their two best friends Nick and Laini (also boy/girl twins) decided to have a garage sale to raise money for Laini to buy a "Pillow P#t." Since Nick and Laini live just a few houses down, these four got together regularly to plan for the big sale. I was impressed by their organization and how they had thought of so many of the details... change, tables, signs, permission from the city. Because they had been so intent on doing this sale, I really wanted to make sure it happened.
A day or so before the sale, I took Han to the town hall to get permission for the sale. I was really hoping we could get the $6 fee waived and sure enough they let Han have permission to have it free. We gathered all the collected paraphernalia and I gave the kids stickers and markers to price the items. Judging by the prices some of the items were quite valuable to the owners, so I coached them on how to let customers know that they were willing to negotiate. The next morning we drove down to the end of our street and put up one of my garage sale signs, "Huge Sale".... a little deceiving, I know, but it was all I had.
And speaking of garage sales, our profits from our next two (real) family sales are going to be added from the money I made last summer in hopes of saving enough money to take the whole family on our first mission trip to Mexico in summer 2012. We hope to join a team and build a home from scratch in one week with Amor ministries (www.amor.org) If you have anything you'd like to donate this spring for the sale, we'd love to take it off your hands any time!!
No comments:
Post a Comment