My Cute Kids

My Cute Kids

Sunday, November 07, 2010

My Version

I really liked the idea I saw HERE and wanted one for myself. I thought it would make life so much easier to just glance up and see my "week-at-a-glance." I also needed a place to write down my weekly menu, so I made mine big enough for the schedule and the menu (schedule in the middle and menu on the right). Here's my version:



I'm a horrible photographer, so the colors are a bit off, but here's how I did mine, which was a lot easier than the inspiration tutorial. The frame was brown and $2 at a garage sale, I buy up wood (not fake wood) frames with great shapes when I see them at garage sales. This particular frame had a somewhat ugly picture in it, but the frame was cool. I think people look past those finds when they see the pic and it doesn't work for their house.
I had the black spray paint, and cut the back out of a man's old dress shirt ($1 at goodwill) for the background fabric because that was what I had on hand. The fabric has a green stripe in it that matches my kitchen wall color.
So after painting the frame, I wrapped the fabric around the original pic and inserted it in the frame like a picture. I used a permanent black marker and wrote right on the glass to write the days of the week. (Permanent marker can be easily removed from glass with window cleaner.) I used a dry erase marker for our schedule and menu.
This same idea would be great on a wall where you wanted to write notes to yourself and others. This would be neat hanging somewhere with a verse written on it. You can erase it and write something new whenever you want to. I also made an 8x10 size that I hang from the side of my fridge to keep my grocery list on.
Looks like Abby and Josh Best's birthdays are coming up this week... wonder if they'd like one of these for their birthday!?

3 comments:

Sheri said...

What a fabulous idea! I think I'll try this one, too. I need all the reminders I can get to help me stay organized.

Thanks for sharing.

Sheri in Galveston

Abby said...

Adorable! I love it, and all the other things you create! Love you dear friend.

Jana said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I really could use something like this. I don't think Josh would appreciate it as much as I would! :) I am constantly writing and filling up my tiny dry erase board and I frequently write verses or reminders on my kitchen window with dry erase marker! :)