My Cute Kids

My Cute Kids

Friday, July 14, 2006

"Tostadas Ode to Carlita"


When it comes to cooking, I really enjoy a new recipe. Down-home or gourmet, if it looks good I'll try it. But usually, I haven't the guts, or culinary skills to create my own recipes. However, the other night I was struck with a bit of creative genius in the food section of Target and managed to unite a few of my favorite flavors for one serious mouth party!! So, as promised, here is the recipe for
BLACK BEAN TOSTADAS WITH ROASTED RED PEPPERS
(otherwise known as "Tostadas Ode to Carlita." Well, now that I said that, I guess I'll have to explain myself. Those of you who are already salivating, please close your mouth and swallow for a few seconds. "Carlita," is one of our fun names for Carly, a sweet friend who just moved out of our house to go live with her new husband, Kyle. Might I just say now, that Kyle will have to "UP" his exercise regimen considerably now that he has wed Carly, because she is one amazing cook! She was forever trying out new tasty recipes she'd find on the internet. Another truly endearing quality of Carly's is her love for garlic. It rivaled mine!! Rachel, remember the night I ate too many garlic cloves!? I smelled up our dorm room for days! Anyway, when you mixed Carly and I in the kitchen, you quite often ended up with more garlic on the table then Russ could handle!! One time she and I made a homemade pizza that probably had more whole roasted garlic cloves than meat. Well, I'm rambling, but I have named this recipe after her because I have truly been inspired by her to continue to take chances in the kitchen. After all, if you put enough garlic in something, it's gotta taste good!! )

Let me apologize in advance for those of you who never stray from the recipe.... I didn't measure any of this.... just wing it!

Start with a crispy tostada shell. Our store sells corn tostada shells already crispy (they're the flat ones for those of you who aren't from NM).
Next, smear a generous layer of homemade guacamole. This serves as an adhesive to keep your black beans from rolling off. (make guac by mashing an avocado, adding a few T's of sour cream, a few T's of salsa and seasoning it to taste with salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder.)
The third layer is black beans (heat in saucepan after adding some olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder).
The next layer is carmelized onions (saute onions in olive oil and minced garlic until translucent and caramel in color).
Follow with roasted red peppers (buy a jar of roasted red peppers, and julienne, then heat in the left-over oil and garlic from the onions).
Finally, smother with cheese, cheddar or Monterey Jack (goat, if you really want to BAMM!).

Enjoy, and leave a comment to let me know how you liked them!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, these here'll give you gas. Tried em. Know what I'm talkin about.

Anonymous said...

But it's good gas! Need some of that these days.

Les said...

Thanks, Honey for your input! I'm grateful that you are such a willing guinea pig. Wouldn't you agree that the gas is a small price to pay for such an amazing meal?

Anonymous said...

I will NEVER forget the garlic stench that woke me out of a cold sleep! Bring on the garlic...just make sure the person you are kissing has some too!!!Rachel

Meli n Pat said...

I'm going shopping and plan to try this yummy-sounding dish this weekend! I think it's all gluten-free! I may not let you know about the said gas factor, however!!:)

wendy said...

yum, i"m sold

Anonymous said...

Are we going to get a wonderful homemade guacamole recipe as well? :) If I get such a delicious recipe for a tostada it seems a shame to leave anything else out- thks