



After suffering with advanced Alzheimer's for the past several years, my Grandpa is finally in his right mind today. It's been awhile since he could think clearly and recognize his loved ones, but I'm sure that when Jesus came to take him home this morning he had no trouble recognizing his Lord.I have some great memories of my Grandpa. Early on, I mostly just remember his blue work shirts that said "Lester." Grandpa was a hard working man, and a skilled carpenter.
Later on I remember him attending my sporting events and other important milestones. Even though he wasn't always comfortable showing affection, he showed me his love by the things he did for me. He was very quick witted and ornery. Instead of telling me he loved me, he'd say things like, "Some people have to pay their grand kids to be good. You're just good for nothing!"
One of my favorite memories of my Grandpa is when he took me to college. For some reason that I don't really recall, my parents were going to send me off to college on an airplane. My grandparents didn't like the idea of me having to go to my first semester of school alone, so Grandpa loaded up me with all my stuff, and we made the 16 hour trip together.
I'm blessed to have good memories! It makes days like today not so sad. I loved my grandpa. I'm thankful that I got to grow up with him in my life, and I'm really glad that he's finally free of the disease that took so much of his mind so that he can celebrate Christmas with Jesus this year!
(the first pictures are of he and I in my early days, and the last two are on my wedding day)
2 comments:
It brought tears to my eyes to read what you and your family wrote about your Grandpa. Grandpa's are pretty special people, you losing yours made me miss mine. I would love for him to pull out his teeth and scare my girls with them just one last time!!! So glad there is heaven to look forward to...No more dentures there...no more sick hearts...no more lost minds....Love you!
Post a Comment